Stayfresh Crew

Photography: My newest decision – Canon to Nikon?

As a lot you know i been a die hard fan of Canons since i started, but since the day ive started i always said this to my good friends and fellow photographers… I feel like i should of been a Nikon guy and heres my look on things. If i was handed a Canon first which i was my buddy Mizarks Rebel XT to be exact that he traded for a Racing seat haha, I more then likely grew to go Canon all the way. But if i was handed a Nikon say D40, I probably would of ended up with a D700 by now and who knows! Maybe i would of said i want a 5Dmk2 now! haha, but anyways…

The last couple days or well its funny the last 36 hours i posted up my 5D Mark II & lenses For trade amongst friends via facebook. I would not trade outside (Craigslist, forums & yada yada) just makes me feel better who and where my Cameras going too :). I visited a car meet yesterday and let a friend Brian Kato of Platinum VIP know I’m looking for a trade and guess what 6 hours later, SNAG find his buddy that was very interested…

so as of 11:30PM Last night.

Im am now a Nikoner Nikonist? Nikon something…

Both partys were very happy, Yes im VERY w our trade :) But as you can see and no your not trippin. I still have my Canon 70-200 which will/is for sale/trade for an equal Nikon lens which will probably the 70-200 2.8 EG Ver 1.

Half my friends gave me the WTF!? REALLY!??? and other half of my friends are jumping for joy and hitting that Like Button on facebook…

what did i lose/gain.
21Mega Pixels to 12 & that’s very near half that gone!
higher res & light weight
No more video for me :(
More affordable lenses, Do some research and compare Canon L’s vs the Nikon Equivalent you’ll see what im talking about
easy to use, everything! the 5DmkII was structured switch everything off with you right thumb & trigger finger…
and trust me much more, i know i know..

but,
the colors you get from a Nikon & Sharp photos is what caught my attention, ive used/borrowed this camera and simply sold on it
slightly quicker then the 5Dmkii 5FPS from 3.2?
More sturdier & tough
Auto focus System amazing & awesome in low light situations which I run into all day everyday, im a Night Photographer :P
Nikon glass awesome though very price

So this is where you come in. What do you think about both Camera body’s, lenses & maybe about the company overall. There has always been a big HEATED argument about both Cameras and i wanna hear this from our readers :) or maybe what do you think about my trade, Be nice :( haha. Also PLEASE don’t get it twisted. I LOVE my canons and i love getting to love my Nikons :P but In the end of a day a Cameras a Camera.

Looking forward to see what i can show you guys in the future! goodday!

“I wish more people felt that photography was an adventure the same as life itself and felt that their individual feelings were worth expressing. To me, that makes photography more exciting.” -Harry Callahan

Adidas Skateboarding 2010

Tim Ho Wan

Yogi

Yogi

Instagram: YogiFatlace

Yogi:
-Fatlace-
-Illest-
-Hellaflush-

1. 05/10/2010 at 8:39 am

Wow. Given the time and income, I will be making the same post about this except I will be swapping my Nikon for a Canon. I have nothing but love for Nikon but I always feel they are just a tad behind on things. But it really is apples and oranges and is up to the user in the long run. I just don’t think I ever see people jumping ship the other way. Nice choice though. I kind of want to see how the D700 performs.

• 05/10/2010 at 8:45 am

i also do feel there behind times, but i just wanted to trying a different route, i can always go back to canon, but try somthing new right :)

2. FelixtheCatalyst
    05/10/2010 at 9:26 am

How are you gonna film the One/One showcase Irwindale. We might have over 100 cars now.

3. 05/10/2010 at 9:48 am

Welcome to the dark side Yogi! My wife & I are Nikon shooters and would not have it any other way. Both companies have their pros & cons but Nikon just felt better to me over all when I bought my first SLR years ago. I’ve been thinking about going full frame too and just might by the end of the year.

4. 05/10/2010 at 11:12 am

nothing like authentic Film!

• 05/10/2010 at 11:44 am

amen

5. 05/10/2010 at 11:53 am

Yogi, we are now fellow Nikonians! Congrats on making the jump, you’ll really enjoy your Nikon gear…I love mine. See you at 1/1.

6. 05/10/2010 at 1:19 pm

woooooo!!!!!!!
    Im between waiting on a d4 or just get a d3s. i think im gonna wait.
    NICE MOVE!

7. Steve
    05/10/2010 at 2:03 pm

Nice camera!

Right now im shooting a Pentax k10d DSLR (first film was a pentax).
    Anyway when I get the cash I think my next digital is going to be a Nikon.

To me nikons have an easier interface and has a better feel… idk haha
    I can pick up a nikon and feel my way around but on canons I feel lost.

Hey Nikons might be behind on things but it seems that when they release things they do a superb job.

Anyway you should do a post later on and tell us how things have stacked up!

Peace,
    Steve

8. Cirocksf
    05/10/2010 at 3:20 pm

D700 ftw. proof: timothymar.wordpress.com

9. John P
    05/10/2010 at 8:10 pm

Nice! I had to make the decision about a year ago whether to go Nikon or Canon and do agree that Nikon quality is superb, but Canon stays up on the tech plus everyone and there mom shoots Canon so easy to borrow gear. Let me know if you do decide to sell that lens. :)

10. John
    05/10/2010 at 10:42 pm

How much for the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8?

• 06/10/2010 at 4:26 pm

1700

11. Al
    06/10/2010 at 4:13 am

I just picked up at Canon 60D… I had a Nikon D5000 for awhile but with that new Swivel Tilt Head Canon came out with… i couldn’t refused! now you’re going to wish that you didn’t sell your Canon :)

• 06/10/2010 at 3:25 pm

Knowing me, I would probably break that swivel screen a couple months into it haha, But im not worried about the swivel screen to much. It will benefit a lot of people doing HD Videos on DSLRS, but as a photographer i never use the live view.. Buttttt its kinda cool that u can close it up after your done, wont scratch your screen :)

Awsome pick up :) !

12. 06/10/2010 at 4:49 pm

really dude? a nikon. disrespectful.

i cant believe you traded your “MADE IN JAPAN” canon that is built sturdy and great to a “MADE IN TAIWAN” Nikon.

thats all I have to say. I have seen the weight of both a nikon and a canon. nikon always seemed like a toy to me.

I will agree about the rich colors and tones, and really fast autofocus.

but then again, i love the 5D’s full censor, and the 5D censor compared to other canon’s or even nikon, just something very special in its color and vibrancy.

I’m personally completely against nikon. I tell myself as to others. dont get a nikon unless its 35mm film, or if it is the top end line of their dslr lineup.

have fun spending $$$ on Nikorr lenses that try to imitate Canon “L”

but in the end, after weighin negativity on both ends, it all comes down to the photographer. photographers pull some amazing photos from disposable cameras, and those are the bottom of the pyramid. so, you’ll be in good hands no matter what ;)

• 06/10/2010 at 5:00 pm

Araa<3! hahaha

like i said i have nothing against both cameras, i just wanted to venture and its simple as that. I traded for the Nikon Full frame the almost up to date equivalent to the canon and im enjoying it

like as said and you said, goes down to the photographer

Love for Canon and Nikon :)

13. Delbert
    07/10/2010 at 11:26 pm

you should of kept the canon.. but i see on what your saying about the pictures, because i’ve seen lately a lot of clear and colorful pictures taken with nikons.

14. 08/10/2010 at 9:36 am

Great pick up man! I have a D60 right now and I saw you at the meet a week ago, I don’t know if you remember me but I was with a group of 4 people and a girl asked you for some stickers, you said it was only for certain cars but hooked us up with other stickers. Just wanted to say thanks again.

My dream camera is the Canon 5D MKII. and to see you trade it for a Nikon makes me wonder how good it is. Plus you also have to realize how much actual video you actual shoot. the 1080p must be amazing but a lot more memory and harder to edit. plus the L lenses are hella expensive for sure. I cant wait to see more of your work with your new camera man! major fan.

• 08/10/2010 at 12:25 pm

No problem :)

gettting rid, or well trading up my 5DmkII was hard, but again… it was time too venture and try somthing new, and who knows maybe ill own both cameras again…

check out my search Daniel Kruthanooch on flickr and you can see some shots ive played w in the last couple days… enjoy and thanks!

• 08/10/2010 at 12:46 pm

Haha one day my car will be worthy of those fatlace stickers you were handing out.

yeah that camera must have been very hard to let go of, but who knows you might grow attached to your new camera like you did with your previous one. wow to be able to own both would be amazing. lol youd have best of both worlds!

the test shots are coming out great already, cant wait to see the photoshoots with flushed cars!

15. 14/10/2010 at 5:25 am

Great pick up in my opinion. The D700 is a fantastic camera, great fast focusing and SUPERB in low light situations. It’s built like a tank and performs like one as well. I would definitely pick up a 50 f1.4 and the new 85 F1.4 as well.

For me Canon’s never felt good in my hands, ergonomics just sucked in my opinion. And playing around with other Canon’s I’ve always had difficulties understanding the menu’s and function buttons. But with the Nikon is simple, not menu driven (dedicated func. buttons) which made things faster.

Anyways enjoy.