Crumpler: Q&A and Giveaway!
Crumpler is a bag company based out in Australia. Recently we got to ask the founder Sam Davy a few questions a bit about the company, how it got started and where it’ll continue to go.
1) In what ways are Apple and Crumpler similar? How are they different? What ideas and business methods from Apple did you adopt and brought with you to Crumpler?
Both Apple and Crumpler care deeply about the products. Design is at the center of both companies, rather than being a department that is tacked on the side and we focus on making the quickest connection between customers and products.
2) In 2008, did you expect the meeting with Dave Roper and Will Miller would lead you to where you are now?
No not at all, I met them by chance and we chatted for hours. I then met up with them about a month later for drinks and that’s when they popped the question, so to speak.
3) Where did the innovation for Crumpler Bags come from?
Dave and Will had a bike messenger company in Melbourne called Minuteman, they needed strong, functional bags for the riders. Stuart Crumpler was one of there riders and he took a shot at designing some bags. He tested them out with the riders for about a year before perfecting the design. This was in the early 90’s and at that time technology was eating into the bike messenger business, so Dave and Will asked Stu if he’d like to start a bag business, it seemed more interesting.
4) If you could go back and do it all over again, (from Apple to now) would you change anything about your journey thus far?
No, not really. I’ve been very lucky.
5) How old are you?
6) Education background?
I studied Graphic Design in Newcastle, England, then worked in London design studios for about 9 years, before heading to SF.
7) What is like going from such a huge company like Apple, to working with Crumpler?
Both companies have their strong cultures, yet both are very different. I am very conscious of preserving Crumpler culture, whilst still improving the systems that let us grow.
8) What is your favorite bag that Crumpler makes?
I love The Haven. It’s a little padded pouch for your camera gear. It allows you to turn any bag into a camera bag.
9) What makes Crumpler Bags, aside from aesthetics, unique and different than other bags? What makes the company unique?
We offer a lifetime warranty on our bags, I think this speaks for itself. We also still work in a very old fashioned way, drawing the bags on paper, cutting paper patterns, we don’t use very much technology in our design process.
10) What advice can you give to inspiring creative directors, given the state of the economy?
Hang in there, it will get better.
11) What is Crumpler’s philosophy?
We build bags that last.
12) What can we expect from Crumpler next year?
More travel products, a new line of pro photo bags and lots of fun stuff in between.
13) Any plans on expanding Crumpler?
Yes, lots of plans… stay tuned.
So for all of you photographers out there, here’s a chance to get some free gear that’ll help you hang onto your pride and joy. Just let know what camera gear you use and have a chance to win a Crumpler camera strap and a Crumpler camera bag.
Giveaway has closed. Congratulations to Dustin2jz!