PART 1 – The Intro

PART 2 – Getting Lucky

So I’ve been going back and forth over how much I’d like to spend on coilovers. Owning so many cars over the year with so many sets of coilovers from big brands, I’ve learned what to expect and want from suspension. I know I’d like to go with a 2 way setup down the road. Being able to adjust compression and rebound separately is a huge plus and makes the car predictable. I’m thinking of going KW V3 or Clubsports for the car.

While I was talking about suspension with Codi from SpeedElement (which, by the way, has a super bad ass Evo in the works) he pointed at a totaled S2000 in the back.

He told me to take a look at it and assured me it might save me a few bucks if I can salvage anything off it. Walking around the car I realized it had coilovers on it. They were actually not bad ones either; Buddy Club N+ Spec.

I then realized the rotors looked good also. Cody explained to me they were Stoptech rotors and pads on both ends of the car. Apparently they were changed only a few days before the car met it’s fate.

I borrowed some tools and went to work. I know the coilovers will have to be pulled apart. I want to make sure they are not bent, leaking, and the shocks work smooth.

A few hours later I was done.

Behold, Buddy Club coilovers, Stoptech front and rear rotors and Stoptech pads.

Thank you to SpeedElement for the goodies. These will help me out a lot. It will give me some time to save my pennies and get the coilovers I want.

Getting home I decided to get to work. I need to pull the coilovers apart and make sure nothing is bad from the wreck.

And 5 minutes later.

It’s not super hard disassembling coilovers; I’ve done it in the past. I know it would be super easy to just skip this step and toss them in the car but I’d rather have them look nice and work properly. This way at the track, if there is a weird noise and something feels funny, its easy to pinpoint the problem.

The extent of the tools needed for the job. I’ve collected quite a few coilover wrenches over the years and they come in handy when you come across a set with them missing.

Everything is pulled apart and the struts check out. No leaking and the movement seems good on all four. I know I’m not a human shock dyno machine, but you can feel when one is messed up vs. the rest.

Now with everything apart, it’s time to clean them up. Brake cleaner is super fast and easy; it’s also a nice way to remove the writing from all the tag/stickers. I always end up using Simple Green, as it cleans great without damaging anything.

Without any effort, everything came out super clean.

A lot of people forget to clean the threads well. This is a huge step. Also as you can see the tags/stickers are unharmed and in great condition.

Since the car did stay in the rain for a bit and the trunk was missing, the top of the adjusters rusted. Thankfully, it’s just surface rust.

Nothing a little love from the wire wheel can’t scrub off.

There we go, all clean.

Now to add some WD40 to the threads and adjusters and reassemble.

All finished.

Track day is Jan 13th and the car is still stock. I’m going to Blox Racing tomorrow to get a few things. I want a front bumpsteer kit and half shaft spacers for the rear since I’m lowering the car about 1.5″s.

5 day countdown begins!






Tags : fitmentrace carracecars2000Time AttackTracktrack cartrack spec
Alex Bucur

The author Alex Bucur

Currently residing in Bay Area, California. Professional photographer & Creative Consultant. Instagram: @alexbucur Email: